Ph.D. Admission Procedure
For Indian Candidates
Ph.D Admission 2016
A student seeking admission to Ph.D. course shall apply on a prescribed form. The application form, duly filled in by the student in his own hand and with a passport-size photo affixed on it along with xerox copies of the documents listed below, must be sent to the Academic Section of the Institute. Admission to the Ph.D. degree course is open once in the year i.e.(September /October).
- Migration Certificate (No objection certificate from the University last attended)
- Passing/Degree certificate of the last qualifying degree examination
- Mark-list of the last qualifying degree examination
- Character certificate (from the head of the Institute from which the student has obtained his qualifying degree.
- Documentary proof for date of birth
- Gap certificate (if applicable)
- Research Proposal *
- No objection certificate from the employer (if employed)
* The Research Proposal shall be prepared by the student in consultation with his proposed guide and shall be signed by both. The title of the Ph.D. thesis suggested should be such that no work of similar nature has been done or is being done. Research Proposal shall consist of:
Students are requested to note that their application will not be considered for admission if the above certificates are not enclosed with their application.
- Current status of knowledge of the topic of research;
- Aims of proposed research and methodology to be adopted;
- Nature of the data to be collected;
Proposed method of analysis and interpretation;
Expected contribution to the knowledge of the subject; and
- A detailed bibliography of the literature on the topic of research.
- Admission to the Ph.D. degree programme shall be done through an Entrance Test. Students who have passed GATE/NET/SET/ M.Phil/JRF Examination in the relevant subject of the apex bodies as CSIR/UGC/ICAR/ICMR/DBT will be exempted from the Entrance Test.
- The concerned Departmental Committee may give exemption for Ph.D.Entrance Tests and Course Work to a deserving candidate. While giving the exemption, the Departmental Committee may consider research work/earlier Ph.D./experience done by the candidate. If a candidate already holds a Ph.D. degree in a related subject from a recognized University, he/she may be exempted from entrance tests and course work for admission to Ph.D.
- For Entrance Test there would be two papers i.e. Paper I and Paper II. Paper I would be General Aptitude Test of 100 marks & Paper II would be subject wise of 100 marks. General Aptitude Test will have 50 questions with multiple choice covering Research & Teaching Aptitude, Logical thinking, General Comprehension, etc. The test shall be conducted by the University.
Second Written Test will be pertain to the subject to the Department concerned & the test shall be of 100 marks. i.e. 30 marks for Objective type exam and 70 marks for Descriptive type exam.
After passing the both tests the student will be appear before the Department concerned.
- Only those students who have passed entrance test or who are exempted from entrance test shall appear for an interview to be organized by the Department concerned.
- At the time of interview, doctoral candidates are expected to discuss their research interest/ area.
- Only the predetermined number of students may be admitted to Ph.D. programme.
- While granting admission to students to Ph.D. Programme, the Institute will pay due attention to the State Reservation Policy.
- Having been found prima facie eligible for admission to the course, the student will be given a provisional admission letter by which he/she can obtain Research Visa for study at this Institute. The letter shall be valid for a period of one year from the date of issue.
- On receiving the Research Visa the student shall arrive at the Deccan College & shall submit the eligibility application and original and xerox copies of the certificates listed in (a) above as also the Research Visa. A student shall not be admitted to the course if he fails to submit the documents requested for.
- English Language Test :
The medium of instruction for the Ph.D. degree programme at this Institute is English. It is therefore essential that the student has a sound knowledge of English Language. To test this the student shall appear for English Language Test. Only those students who pass the Test shall be admitted to the Ph.D. degree programme.
- The following student/s shall however be exempted from appearing for this Test:
- who are native speakers of English language.
who are seeking admission through the Government of India Scholarship scheme (ICCR scholars)
- who have migrated from an Indian University and have passed the English Language test of that University
- who have passed the test conducted by this Institute during their admission to an earlier degree course of this Institute.
- The Test shall be of two and half hours duration and shall contain objective type questions in general English and grammar. The paper will be of 100 marks. To be eligible to pass a student must secure 40 marks.
- Help of the following staff shall be taken in conduct of the Test. They shall be paid remuneration as per rules.
- Paper setter & Examiner
- Hall Attendant
- A member of the teaching staff of the Department of Linguistics/ Archaeology/Sanskrit may be appointed by the Director of the Institute, to work as Paper-setter and Examiner for the Test. The Supervisor and Hall Attendant shall be appointed from the administrative and class IV staff respectively.
- Medical Test :
To ensure that a student admitted to the Ph.D. degree has sound health, all foreign students shall undergo a medical fitness test as detailed below. However, students who have already appeared for the medical test, conducted by this Institute, during their earlier admission to a degree course of this Institute, shall be exempted from appearing for this Test. Only those students who are found medically fit shall be admitted to the Ph.D. degree programme.
- For medical fitness the students shall be subjected to the following tests:
- HIV Test (Aids Test)
- Chest Check-up (through X-Ray)
- General Medical Test
- Till such time that the Institute is able to provide medical facility to carry out the above tests, they shall be done at Inlaks and Budhrani Hospital or at a hospital to be specified later. Expenditure on these tests including incidental expenses shall be made by the Institute from the medical test fees collected from the student.
- Only those students who are found medically fit shall be admitted to the Ph.D. degree programme.
- Course Work :
The Course work is compulsory and will carry 20 credit. The bifurcation of these credits is as under :
The evaluation will be done by the concerned faculty of the Department.
- 5 credits for Research Methodology which includes research methodology, quantitative methods, Computer Application, tools and techniques including instrumentation, communication skill, seminar presentation and review of published research.
- 10 credits for subject specific (2 Subjects) course work.
- 5 credits for field work, seminar and other academic activities.
Admitted candidates shall be required to undertake course work organized by the Department as the case may be . The course work will be for a minimum period of one semester. The course work shall be treated as pre Ph.D. preparation.