- M.A. in A.I.H.C. & Archaeology or M.A. Archaeology or Masters in any branch of Archaeology (such as Prehistory, Protohistory, Ancient studies, Bioarchaeology, Scientific Archaeology, Indology, Anthropology)
- M. Sc. degree in Anthropology / Geography / Geology / Zoology / Botany / Physics / Chemistry.
- Students having an M.A. degree in a subject other than Ancient Indian History, Culture and / or Archaeology listed in (a) above and students having an M.Sc. degree in the subjects listed in (b) above will have successfully completed the M.Phil. or M.Litt. course in Ancient Indian History, Culture and / or Archaeology, of any other recognized university or the P.G.Diploma course of this university to become eligible for admission to the Ph.D. course.
- M.A. in Linguistics or in one of the classical or modern Indian or foreign languages. Students having an M.A. degree in a subject other than Linguistics will have successfully completed the M.Phil. / M.Litt. course in Linguistics of any other recognized university to become eligible for admission to the Ph.D. course.
For Sanskrit and Lexicography
Students who have a minimum of 55% marks at the M.A./M.Sc. examination shall only be admitted to the Ph.D. course. Relaxation may be made as regards the percentage of marks by 5% in case of Reserved category (SC, ST, PH) candidates only.
- M.A. in Sanskrit / Pali / Prakrit.
Note : The qualifying degree course should be of a University/Institute recognized by the University Grants Commission and the degree should be as specified by the Commission.