Activities : Sanskrit and Lexicography
Departmental Research Activity
An Encyclopaedic Dictionary of Sanskrit on Historical Principles
The project for the compilation of An Encyclopaedic Dictionary of Sanskrit on Historical Principles was conceived and planned by Professor S. M. Katre, former Professor of Indo-European Philology and Director of the Institute in 1948. The well established Sanskrit Dictionary Project now forms a part of the Department of Sanskrit and Lexicography. The late Professor A.L. Basham has stated in his book 'The Wonder That Was India' that the 'Dictionary, when completed, will be the greatest work of Sanskrit Lexicography the world has ever seen'.
Activities Conducted for the Students' Benefit
- The Sanskrit Department arranges special lectures of eminent scholars on various topics related to syllabus.
- The Department has specially designed a full-fledged Research Methodology course of one semester for research students.
- The Department arranges Research students' seminars, work-shops etc. every year.
- Further the Department arranges field trips for students to provide first hand information of ancient Indian culture.
- The Department encourages the students for participation in different co-curricular activities such as Sanskrit competitions and student-seminars etc.
- The Department arranges programmes such as Celebration of National Sanskrit day wherein the students participate actively.
The Department frequently organizes Special Lectures. A list of few of these are:
- 'Ṛgveda Prātiśākhya' by Prof. Saroja Bhate on 11th August 2011 at 3.00 p.m.
- 'Purāṇa Literature' by Prof. P.G. Lalye on 22nd September 2011 at 3.30 p.m.
- 'Mīmāṁsāśāstra' by Pandit Devadatta Patil on 23rd September 2011at 3.30 p.m.
- 'Sanskrit Grammar' by Prof. J.A.F.Roodbergen on 4th November 2011 at 3.00 p.m.
- 'Ethics in Research' by Dr. Shirish Chindhade on 15th of February 2012 at 3.00 p.m.
- 'Research Methodology' by Dr. Ashok Thorat on 24th February 2012 at 11.30 a.m.
- 'Research Design' by Prof. Vidyadhara Bhate on 2nd March 2012at 2.30 p.m.
- 'Methodology regarding reference-work' by Dr. H.C. Patyal on 10th March 2012 at 3.00 pm.
- 'Lexicography' by Dr. R.V. Dhongade on 15th March 2012 at 3.00 p.m.
- 'Darśapūrṇamāseṣṭi' by Dr. T.N. Dharmadhikari on 29th March 2012 at 3.00 p.m.
One-day Workshop on Lexicography is organised every year.
- Other workshops are organised on regular basis in the Department.
Visits of Scholars to the Department and Dictionary project
Several Indian and foreign scholars visit the Department and the Project regularly.
- The Department organized a field trip to Ved-Bhavan, Pune for observation of oral tradition of Teaching and learning of the Veda.
- Annual trip to the Vedic Sacrifice performed by Agnihotri Sudhakar Kulkarni in Warje, Pune.
National Sanskrit Day Celebration
The Department of Sanskrit and Lexicography celebrates National Sanskrit Day every year. Various academic activities such as guest lectures etc are organized along with cultural functions such as drama, recitation, singing etc are organized in Sanskrit in which the students take active participation.